Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My injury plagued life…

After a long day of classes and homework, I went onto my computer tonight and started checking out the news. At least my version of the news. I visited ESPN.com first, and much to my anger I saw the first headline on the right side of the page:

“Dolphins put Brown on IR, ending season”

Not to be a part of the new cliché, but F My LIfe.

I just suffered through over five months of injury riddled games. The Mets were plagued with injuries this season. Starters were out left and right. We went the AAA to get talent to bring to New York.

Sports Illustrated put us at the top of the division before the season began. We had superior pitching and a great infield. But, due to injuries, we suffered a summer of discontent. I was excited when we won a game. Forget about the race to the pennant, I was racing to the end of the season. Refresh the roster, and I’ll see you next year.

Almost two months after the Mets closed their season, more injuries come to haunt my sleep.

The Dolphins aren’t doing great this season. Trust me, I understand. Ted Ginn Jr. can’t catch a ball when he needs to to save his life. The wildcat is being caught on to by opposing teams. And the defense allows 25.2 points per game.

Despite this, though, the Dolphins actually are in the hunt for a playoff spot. Tied with the Jets at 5-4—Miami holds the tiebreaker with a sweep of the Jets—both teams are only two games behind division leading New England. Miami is also in the thick of the wildcard hunt.

The reason for this? The running game. Ricky Williams and Brown lift the Dolphins every game. Miami averages 156.2 rushing yards per game, fourth in the league. Without Brown, half of the running attack is gone.

The guys to take his place, Lex Hilliard, hasn’t even played in an NFL game. His preseason numbers looked good, but what does that really show? He probably was running against second string defenses for most of August.

So another sporting season becomes marred by injuries. I am just waiting for half of the Pittsburgh Panthers starting lineup to fall on each other during a rebound and break something. Then, it seems, the injuries plaguing my life would succeed to their fullest extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment