Thursday, March 11, 2010

You beat me, I hate you

Sports is the one place where it’s okay to hold a grudge. If someone yells at you for something stupid, you shouldn’t hold it over the person’s head for ten years. But if a team beats you in the last seconds for a spot in the Final Four? Yeah, you have every right to hate them forever.

Which brings me to a perfect example. I hate Villanova. Last year, in the Elite Eight, Pittsburgh played Villanova for a spot in the Final Four. Pitt had played well the entire season, was ranked #1 in the nation, and actually looked like they could win it all. Imagine it: your team is poised to take a tournament and then the ridiculous happens.

It was a tight and physical game that didn’t disappoint for a Big East matchup. With five and a half seconds left to go, Levance Fields made both of his free throws and tied the game at 76. Now, all Pitt had to do was prevent Villanovahate Villanova from shooting and for goodness sakes not foul them. If you can’t prevent the shot, at least give them a difficult look.

But as my luck always goes, Pitt couldn’t do it. They didn’t foul, so score for that. But they let Scottie Reynolds catch an inbounds and push it all the way downcourt. He then made a jumper from right in front of the basket with 0.5 seconds left to win the game and punch a ticket to the Final Four.

Screw. You. Villanova.

I was livid. That completely ruined my night. It wasn’t even like it was a miracle shot, or a once in a lifetime occurrence. Pittsburgh let Reynolds shoot an easy jumper. The anger radiated out of my ears.

I’ve had a grudge against Villanova ever since. Which explains why right now I am violently yelling at the television that Villanova sucks. Because they do. Because when you beat my team I can hold a grudge for as long as I want. It’s sports, grudges are completely acceptable. Actually, they’re necessary. 

So when Villanova lost to Marquette today in the Big East Tournament I jumped for joy. Not because Marquette won. But because Villanova lost. That’s the beauty of sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment