Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gang Green for Texas

As the NFL's training camp fast approaches it is that time to really think about where each team is going. It's also that time to make a pre-training camp Super Bowl prediction.

I've been well aware that the season is approaching, but until I got on the phone with a guy in the New York Jets front office, I hadn't really thought about the Super Bowl and what team was most likely to take home the Lombardi trophy. I was on the phone for almost 20 minutes talking Jets and I realized something that I hadn't before.

I definitely had the Jets atop my list of best teams. They have a phenomenal defense and the offense can put points on the board. Their coach, Rex Ryan, has done a great job of whipping his guys into shape and convincing them that they are, indeed, the best team in football. When I first heard some of his high jinx, I wasn't so sure it was the right thing. But last season proved that it may be just what these guys need.

On top of this, they have signed some key players in this offseason that will most definitely catapult them to the top. LaDainian Tomlinson. Antonio Cromartie. Jason Taylor. Santonio Holmes. I wrote it before and I'll write it again: the Jets blew everyone out of the water this offseason with their acquisitions and they weren't even in dire need to do it.

What I hadn't realized before this phone call is that there isn't a surefire team to rival the Jets. Pittsburgh is out; Ben Roethlisberger is on suspension, right tackled Willie Colon looks to miss the season, star wideout Holmes is gone. There are just too many questions around the Steelers right now. The Indianapolis Colts are on the slide, they're out. The Patriots are falling form prominence too. Baltimore could rival the Jets; their defense is easily second best if we're putting the Jets at the top and the Ravens offense was bolstered by Anquan Boldin.
Hands down though, no one is at the Jets level right now. I had the Jets taking the AFC East and going deep into the playoffs. But now that I really sit down and think about it, they're my Super Bowl pick right now too. As of this exact moment, who is going to take them off of their thrown? Who is going to be able to crack that Rex Ryan defense? There is no offense that can do so. In the entire league, I would give props to the Minnesota Vikings if Brett Favre returns to have the sole chance at taking the Jets down.

The only way the Jets will fall is if they all crack down by the end of the season. If they decide to stop fighting, all is lost. But as I'm told, they're working really hard for this. They're putting in they're all every single day they're on that field. So I hope my inside information is right. Because I've just placed the New York Jets as my pre-training camp Super Bowl pick.

1 comment:

  1. You just dismissed the Colts that easily...the Jets have Mark Sanchez as their QB (I'll let that sink in as you recall all of his INT's last year). Colts win 12+ games every year unless Manning is hurt, period. :) -Ford

    ReplyDelete