Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pen in Pennington

Are you kidding me right now? The Dolphins’ quarterback situation never ceases to disappoint me. I haven’t been happy since I was 7 and Dan Marino instituted the fake spike.

I’ll just put it right out there without anything fancy going on: Chad Henne is terrible. Ten interceptions and eight touchdowns through eight games is unacceptable. He has a 78.2 quarterback rating and can’t hit a receiver if the guy was standing there, alone, on the fifty yard line with absolutely no one around.

OK, so a bit dramatic. He can’t hit the receiver when there’s a dog barking to distract him.

I never wanted the Dolphins to take Henne in the first place. He wasn’t the best pick to make, and I had a problem that he was a few years older than the other potential stars. We need a long-term guy. A guy who’s job it is to throw touchdowns, not interceptions. Henne is supposed to be a really intelligent guy, but he can’t even remember what color his team is wearing. Oh, wait, my team isn’t wearing purple today? My bad.

Chad Pennington is a good quarterback; I liked him when he played for the Jets. And his completion percentage is stellar. He is the NFL’s all-time leader in completion percentage (minimum of 1,500 pass attempts) with 66.1. The difference between last year and this year is the receiving corps. Davone Bess is easily one of my favorite receivers right now. He’s no Hines Ward or Andre Johnson, but his ability to stick with the ball and bring it to the ground with him is what the Dolphins have commonly lacked. He only has three touchdowns this season, but that doesn’t speak to his potential. The Dolphins have 11 total, 8 thrown by Henne. Everyone knows about Brandon Marshall – he bolsters the offense as well.

Pennington, this is your chance. You’re arm’s been through a lot and I’m asking you, once more, to break out the cannon and get this team going again. Miami is great at doing two things: losing early, and coming back or winning early and dozing off. I want to be able to actually like my quarterback for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment